Friday, 21 February 2014

Journeys

As a young child I had many dreams, as children do, of being an actress, a pop star, a prima ballerina, a wedding planner, and during one phase, a dream psychologist. However none of these dreams were particularly realistic or suited to me (other than the wedding planner, which strangely still appeals to me). We are so often asked, even as six-year-olds, what we want to do in five, ten, twenty years time. Of course a six-year-old will tell you all sorts of things.

So, at what point do we know what we want to do? Will I simply continue to feel like I'm drifting through life, not knowing where I will be in the next five, ten, twenty years time?

Ten years ago I had no idea that I would be studying dance at a university in London or in America. I initially opted for dance at GCSE because I enjoyed it, and it was a welcome break from classrooms and textbooks. But it wasn't until after I'd watched a performance by the Richard Alston Dance Company in Cambridge that I realised that it was more than just enjoyment that compelled me to dance. I wanted to sweat and work and drive my body through the space as much as Richard Alston's dancers did on that stage. Alston's dancers proved to me that there was a finesse and sense of total personal devotion and commitment to the art-form. I wanted to be able to fully commit myself to one thing, I needed something to channel all of my energy into.

I have no idea where I'm going or what I will be doing in the next five, ten or twenty years. Despite how much this terrifies me, it is also strangely exciting. As long as we continue to stay true to what we believe in and strive to fulfill the dreams that make us happiest- whether they're occupational or recreational- hopefully we will end up doing the right thing, in the right place.

Having a whale of a time



No comments:

Post a Comment